[Dixielandjazz] Re: Candy Candido (was FH5, More on Disney)

Bill Haesler bhaesler at bigpond.net.au
Sat Sep 25 02:22:37 PDT 2004

Dear Bob and friends,
It never ceases to amaze me how many famous people some of you other famous
people know.
All I know is things ABOUT them!

Johnny Candido was born in New Orleans, December 25, 1913.
He died on May 19, 1999. He played bass and did trick vocals and sang a duet
with Fred Astaire ("Let's Begin") in the 1935 film 'Roberta'. OKOM songs in
the film, which was shown here in Australia on cable recently, included:
"Smoke Gets In Your Eyes", "Lovely To Look At". "Yesterdays", "I Won't
Dance" and part of "Indiana".
Coco was the Apple Tree voice in 'The Wizard of Oz' and did other voices for
countless Disney films including:
Crocodile Constable in 'Robin Hood'.
Fidget the bat in 'The Great Mouse Detective'.
Goon in 'Sleeping Beauty'.
Indian Chief in 'Peter Pan'.
He sang "You're Nothin' But a Nothin'" in 'Who Killed Cock Robin'.
He appeared regularly on Jimmy Durante's radio show in the late 1940's and
teamed up with Bud Abbott in the 1960's.
Four titles were recorded ("Kingfish Blues/China Boy/New Orleans/Bugle Call
Rag") as by 'Candy and Coco' for Vocalion on 19 Sept 1934 with Gene Austin,
p; Otto 'Coco' Heimal, g; Candy Candido, sb; & Monk Hazel, d/c.
[I have the first 2 titles.]
He also recorded with singer/pnist Gene Austin on 22 Dec 1933 (2 titles) and
18 Nov 1937 (2 titles). [I do not have these.]
'Candy Candido and His Swingsters' recorded 4 titles for Decca on 8 Oct 1937
but all were rejected.
'Candy Candido and His Candy Kids' recorded 4 more titles for Decca on 9 Nov
1937 but only two, "Ma! (He's Makin' Eyes At Me)/The Big Bass Fiddle", were
issued. [I do not have these sides either.] Coco, v/sb is featured with an
unknown group. This was probably a contingent from the Ted Fiorito Orch with
which Candido recorded from  late 1932 until mid 1942.
He also made some 'party records' in Los Angeles for the Hot Shots label -
"Hinkey Dinkey Parley Voo", "My Girl's Monkey" and "Gosh Elmer, That Can't
Be Right".
Once again, more than you needed to know.
Very kind regards,
Bill.