[Dixielandjazz] Re: Frank Thomas passes

Bill Haesler bhaesler at bigpond.net.au
Tue Sep 21 17:46:56 PDT 2004

Regarding:
> Frank Thomas, animator, with Walt Disney and ??? Don't remember him as a
Dixieland Musician?
Cheers,
Steve Barbone<

Dear Steve,
He was a good one too.
You are obviously NOT a fan of the Firehouse Five Plus Two.
Frank Thomas was the band's long-time founder-pianist and was on all the
group's records (78s, LPs) from mid 1949 to mid 1964.
Formed by another Disney animator and jazz tbnist Ward Kimball in 1949, the
FH5+2 launched the Good Time Jazz 78 label out of Los Angeles and hit the
jazz scene with some very toe tapping, happy sounding jazz.
However, it was not to everyone's taste then, or now.
My New Orleans-only mates in Melbourne decried it when the first 78s
appeared here in the late 40s, but I instantly warmed to the fun being
generated. Still do.
The musicians all worked as artists, directors and writers at the Disney
studios, wore firemen's uniforms for band performances (even had their own
fire truck) and were an added attraction at Disneyland.
Sure beat the hell out of the striped vests, straw hats and white slacks
favoured by some so-called white 'dixieland' bands.
I am surprised that you have not come across the group on your jazz
listening travels.
Very kind regards,
Bill.