[Dixielandjazz] Frank Thomas passes

Steve barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Tue Sep 21 15:21:53 PDT 2004

Frank Thomas, animator, with Walt Disney and ??? Don't remember him as a
Dixieland Musician? See the last paragraph of this obit.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone

(Variety) Frank Thomas, one of Walt Disney's trusted "Nine Old Men"
who animated two dogs romantically nibbling a single strand of
spaghetti in the 1955 Disney film "Lady and the Tramp," died
September 8 of natural causes in La Canada Flintridge, Calif. He was
92.

In his 43-year history at Disney, Thomas, often working with old
friend and collaborator Ollie Johnston, also animated the dancing
penguins in "Mary Poppins" and Thumper teaching Bambi how to ice
skate.

Walt Disney jokingly dubbed Thomas and other top animators his "Nine
Old Men," derived from a description of the Supreme Court by
President Franklin Roosevelt.

"Frank was a giant in our field, and he meant everything to me and to
all of us who loved the art of animation," said John Lasseter,
creative head of Pixar Animation Studios and a former Disney
animator.

"Frank was one of my main mentors and a tremendous influence on me,"
Lasseter said in a statement. "I feel very privileged to have known
him."

Born in Santa Monica, Thomas graduated from Stanford University,
where he majored in art, drew cartoons for the school newspaper and
met classmate Johnston, forming a lifelong friendship.

The two started working at the Walt Disney Studios in 1934 and made
animation history as members of the team that created "Snow White and
the Seven Dwarfs," the first full-length animated feature.

Thomas then directed the animation of the title character
in "Pinocchio" and himself drew the "I've Got No Strings" musical
number.

His other credits include the wicked stepmother in "Cinderella," the
Queen of Hearts in "Alice in Wonderland" and Captain Hook in "Peter
Pan."

"Frank is an important part of the Disney legacy and one of the most
amazing talents to ever work at the studio," said Michael Eisner,
chief executive officer of The Walt Disney Co.

Thomas and Johnston both retired in 1978 and went on to author
several influential books on animation, including "Disney Animation:
The Illusion of Life" and "The Disney Villain."

The pair were the subject of a 1995 documentary film "Frank and
Ollie," written and directed by Theodore Thomas, the animator's son.

Thomas also played piano in the Dixieland jazz group The Firehouse
Five Plus Two, formed by fellow animator Ward Kimball.

Thomas is survived by his wife of 58 years, Jeanette; three sons and
a daughter.