[Dixielandjazz] Re: Frank Thomas passes

Steve barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Tue Sep 21 18:53:51 PDT 2004

Dear Bill & Listmates:

Yes, I remember both him and The FH5 +2. I meant the question to be asked of
list members, not myself, thinking that at least half of our list mates
probably would not know who Frank Thomas was, without a bit of prompting.

Reasoning being that he passed away on September 8, in California and no
mention of it by any list mates. Either they are not old enough to read
obits, (his must have appeared in the LA Times), or there was no mention of
his association with FH5+2.

When I saw his name in the obit in Variety, I thought hey isn't that the
piano player, etc?

I saw the group a few times and when I saw the obit, was surprised at the
scant mention of FH5+2, because it was a VERY popular band here in the USA
during the years you mention. Also, I was quite active on the NYC jazz scene
then and couldn't help but know of the band, Frank Thomas & Ward Kimball.

Even though we sophisticated New Yorkers thought their firemen's costumes,
like striped vests and straw hats, were corny. After all, we were "Jazz
Artists", not vaudevillians :-) VBG.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone