[Dixielandjazz] Empirical Recordings..Who Where They?

BudTuba at aol.com BudTuba at aol.com
Fri Sep 17 17:04:58 PDT 2004

I have a few records in my collection that were recorded by a company from
Yellow Springs, Ohio called Empirical Recordings.  I know that listmate Gene
Mayl was one of the early bands to record on Empirical as well as Carl Halen (who
we discussed in recent months) and Robin Wetterau (Robin also played with
Mayl's Dixieland Rhythm Kings at that time, before moving west).  These
recordings are all from the early 1950's and many were reissued by Riverside in its
early years.  Does anyone know more about this company and can we compile a
discography.  I have the following:

EM-101  Gin Bottle 7 (Halen)
EM-102  Gene Mayl's Dixieland Rhythm Kings (wi Halen, cornet)
EM-103  Robin Wetterau (Solo piano)
EM-106  Red Onion Jazz Band (NYC)

I also know from an internet search the following records were also made:

EM-105  Gene Mayl's Dixieland Rhythm Kings
EM-107  George Lewis Septet
EM-104  Carl Halen Septet
EM5-3    Carl Halen Septet
EM-1075 Carl Halen Septet
EM-1076 Marty Grosz and his Honoris Causa Jazz Band feat. Carl Halen

I have restored the EM-101 Gin Bottle 7 and the Toad 1 recording of the Queen
City Jazz Band (of Cinncinnati) to a single CD.  All the clicks and pops have
been cleaned up and it is available from me for $12.00 including US postage.
Those interested in obtaining a copy may contact me separately.  Ask for
CD-012 Cinncinnati Trad Jazz.

Roy (Bud) Taylor
Smugtown Stompers
Traditional Jazz since 1958