[Dixielandjazz] Re: Lasssus Trombone

TCASHWIGG at aol.com TCASHWIGG at aol.com
Fri Sep 17 15:51:22 PDT 2004

In a message dated 9/17/04 3:07:53 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
jazz_trombone at axint.net writes:

> Many older songs, reflect a racist attitude of the day.

 I don't know about > Lassus per say, but many of Steven Foster's songs would
> be considered racist today as they were yesterday.

 Some people consider the tune "Shine" > to be a racist tune.

And Battle Hymn of the Republic could also be considered an American
Terrorist Song.

I visited the Turkish Military Museum a couple of years back in Istanbul, and
heard a concert by their legendary Military Band which was quite remarkable,
The band used to go to the front lines with the Army and play music to start
the attacks, and the soldiers actually fought intensely to the strains and
tempos of the band so they say anyway.

They also proclaim that just the sound of that band used struck fear in the
hearts of their enemies who knew how fiercely the Turks would come at them
fighting.    I bought a coup-le of thier Cds, which are quite interesting.   Lots
of very long Trumpets,  I think they are called (Makrams ) and many drummers
playing small  high pitched drums and a Bass Drummer with a kettle size drum on
wheels,  he is the conductor of the band as well.   They are also known as
Janessarie Bands which were at their height around 1826.

They call it Mehter  Music,    "Marslari"  refers to a type of rhythm.
.
The Janessaries made up most of the Turkish army under the Ottoman empire,
but the Sultan massacred them during the decay of the empire.   The band was
reformed about 1911 by the director of the military museum, but did not gain real
recognition and support again until the 1950,s.

Now the band plays two concerts almost daily at the museum, and special
government sponosred events.

Now you know more than you ever wanted to know about Turkish Military Music

Worth a listen if you like interesting rhythms, the Turks have many
interesting ones indeed, and they also borrowed notes from the Western scales to
infiltrate with their traditional Oriental scales.

Cheers,

Tom Wiggins
Saint Gabriel's Celestial Brass Band
America's #1 Race Band of the 20th Century  :)