[Dixielandjazz] A Venue Suggestion

BudTuba at aol.com BudTuba at aol.com
Fri Sep 17 17:22:11 PDT 2004

barbonestreet at earthlink.net writes:

> horse shows and major races

Steve,

I know you mean well, but I have played with a band that covers a local horse
jumping and dressage (spl) competition for several years and each time I keep
getting the image of one of those English productions for MasterPiece Theatre
where the characters walk about the grounds gaily talking and joking as they
pass by the concert band playing to no discernabke audience, but providing
period background.

These people come for the horse show and since there are bleachers and seats
available there, do not spend more than about 30 seconds in front of the band
on their way through the grounds.   Admittedly, the pay was good and the band
had fun, but not much audience participation.  The audience mix was about as
you described, but kids are interested more in the pony rides and refreshment
stands  and the adults play "Keeping up with the Joneses" then listening to
music.

Roy (Bud) Taylor
Smugtown Stompers
Traditional Jazz since 1958