[Dixielandjazz] Re: Musical parody

Richard E. Onofrey, Jr., CLU, ChFC, CFP reonofreyj at comcast.net
Fri Sep 17 09:09:39 PDT 2004

I originally sent this out to the list, but erroneously sent it just to
Bill. . . . .

Ok, I'm typically a lurker, just soaking up the wealth of knowledge that
gets passed on here, but on this I have to add my $.03 (with inflation).

Personally, I found the parody amusing, and have passed it along to
several friends.  I believe that in this day and age, we are all trying
to be so politically correct that it leads down the path of
ultra-conformity with no wiggle room for growth.

One of the other lists that I subscribe to is a trombone list.
Recently, someone on the list asked a question about Fillmore's "Lassus
Trombone".  Well, let me tell you that the discussion about this piece
went on for almost three weeks!  Half the list was offended that anyone
was still playing this piece of music due to its "inherent racist
nature" and the other half was saying "lighten up, it's just music, and
a darn entertaining piece too!"

If we must be politically correct in all things, we would all have to
remove our senses of humor, throw out all the Wagner records (after all,
Hitler liked them!) and get rid of an awful lot of OKOM music and
history.  Perhaps we should put in the subject line of posts in the
future something like:  "Musical parody - may be offensive to some
listers that are pro-whatever, anti-whatever, or simply thin skinned."

Please, I don't mean to offend anyone with this email.  I'm merely
trying to point out that everything, to someone, can be offensive at
some time.  Just a thought.

Rick Onofrey
Amateur Trombone

"If it please your neighbor to break the sacred calm of night with the
snorting of an unholy trombone, it is your duty to put up with his
wretched music and your privilege to pity him for the unhappy instinct
that moves him to delight in such discordant sounds."
    -Mark Twain