[Dixielandjazz] King Oliver by Peruna Jazzmen

john petters johnpetters at tiscali.co.uk
Tue Sep 14 15:50:08 PDT 2004

Brian said
>I suggest: copy the spirit of the way "Oliver" played copy the
instrumentation if you will; ( i.e. two cornets, tbn,clnt/reeds, bass,
drums, banjo etc) copy the seemingly effortless way the freeblowing
ensembles blend together; copy the restraint of the superb "under-playing"
rhythm section; copy the "space" they leave for the front-line; copy the way
>they supplement the soli and ensembles;

Brian, I would suggest the apparent restraint ogf the rhythm section has
more to do with the recording limitations than trying to play in a
restrained manner. All Baby Dodds had was a snare, a block and a cymbal. No
toms and no bass drum. My guess is that in reality, the Oliver section
sounded like Jelly's Billy Goat Stomp / Hyena Stomp, where Baby is playing
in the style Steve suggested manifested itself in the '40s. Very vigorous,
very exciting and very hot. Another approximation would be the rhythm
section sound on the Dodds Blackbottom Stompers session (Erastus, Joe
Turner, Stomp Stomp, Stomp etc). Judging from what witnesses who heard the
band said, the recordings did not do them justice.
Whenever we do an Oliver set, usually with Cuff Billett and Ken Sims, the
music is quite wild. The rhythm section generally has Annie Hawkins on slp
bass, which ensures that the rhythm section kicks. We do  not sound like
Oliver, however, and couldn't no matter how hard we tried, but we all know
the material backwards and I hope have absorbed the spirit of the music.

John Petters
Amateur Radio Station G3YPZ
www.traditional-jazz.com