[Dixielandjazz] King Oliver by Peruna Jazzmen

David W. Littlefield dwlit at cpcug.org
Tue Sep 14 19:56:38 PDT 2004

At 05:43 PM 9/14/2004 -0400, Brian Towers wrote:
>I will second David's choice as the best "Oliver" copyist band - The Peruna
>do it very well indeed.   Mind you, I question the merits of copying rigidly
>in general..   it is more rewarding if the band members put something of
>"themselves" in it.

Peruna have been around since at least the 70s, and their 7 CDs cover most
of the black classics of the 20s. Lively, not totally slavish, but prove
beyond a doubt that recreationism is a viable method, if very difficult.

>For jazzers who wish to perpetuate and glorify the style and memory of King
>Oliver, I suggest:
>copy the spirit of the way "Oliver" played
>copy the instrumentation if you will; ( i.e. two cornets, tbn,clnt/reeds,
>bass, drums, banjo etc)

But if you use 2 cornets, make sure at least one of them can emulate the
very special style of Oliver/Armstrong

>copy the seemingly effortless way the freeblowing ensembles blend together;
>copy the restraint of the superb "under-playing" rhythm section;
>copy the "space" they leave for the front-line;
>copy the way they supplement the soli and ensembles;
>play the Oliver repertoire of tunes if you wish but play other tunes in the
>same framework, why not?

The Oliver tunes have a great variety that shows the flexibility of the style.

>copy the Oliver band's skills with breaks and mutes etc.

Personally I love playing with horn folk who like breaks--sure makes things
more interesting for the rhythm section

Incidently, when my "Dixieland Fake Book Vol. 2" comes out later this year
(insha'allah), between it and [vol. 1], there will be sheets for all the
'23 Oliver tunes, most of them excerpted from the records. I just finished
them, and it gave me a much greater appreciation for the music...And the
musicians!

Speaking of Oliver, I'm now listening to a good mid-1938 version of
"Dippermouth blues" by Glenn Miller...

--Sheik