[Dixielandjazz] King Oliver by Peruna Jazzmen

Brian Towers towers at allstream.net
Tue Sep 14 14:43:36 PDT 2004

I will second David's choice as the best "Oliver" copyist band - The Peruna
do it very well indeed.   Mind you, I question the merits of copying rigidly
in general..   it is  more rewarding if the band members put something of
"themselves" in it.

For jazzers who wish to perpetuate and glorify the style and memory of King
Oliver, I suggest:
copy the spirit of  the way "Oliver" played
copy the instrumentation if you will; ( i.e. two cornets, tbn,clnt/reeds,
bass, drums, banjo etc)
copy the seemingly effortless way the freeblowing ensembles blend together;
copy the restraint of the superb "under-playing" rhythm section;
copy the "space" they leave for the front-line;
copy the way they supplement the soli and ensembles;
play the Oliver repertoire of tunes if you wish but play other tunes in the
same framework, why not?
copy the Oliver band's skills with breaks and mutes etc.
Copy the way they make it sound so effortless and fool the superficial
listener into thinking it is "easy".

But, at the end of the day, let it sound like yourself and not someone
desparately trying to copy another player note for note.
Cheers,
Brian Towers
Toronto

David Littlefield wrote (snip)