[Dixielandjazz] King Oliver by Peruna Jazzmen

David W. Littlefield dwlit at cpcug.org
Tue Sep 14 03:30:37 PDT 2004

Steve Barbone is right on in recommending the Independence Hall JB CD.

The best Oliver recreationist CD I've heard is
Peruna Jazzmen "Plays the music of King Oliver", GHB BCD-436
It effectively brings the Oliver records into the stereo age, though it's
not totally slavish.

TUNE
Weatherbird rag
I ain't gonna tell nobody [ain't gonna...]
Southern stomps
Mabel's dream
Just gone
Workin' man blues
Froggiemore rag
Sobbin' blues
London cafe blues
Tears
Jazzin' babies blues
Canal street blues
New orleans stomp
Camp meetin' blues
Buddy's habit
Riverside blues
Room rent blues
Sweet baby doll
Chattanooga stomp
Where did you stay last night
Snake rag
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Independence Hall shows that at least some of the less=known Olivers can be
played out of their original context. Note that 5 of the 18 tracks are
*not* 1923 Olivers.

Too late
London cafe blues
Willie the weeper
Prince of wails
I'm going away just to wear you off my mind
Chattanooga stomp
Wa wa wa
Tears
Chimes blues