[Dixielandjazz] The 100 most important American Songs of the 20th Century

David Richoux tubaman at batnet.com
Mon Sep 13 16:27:57 PDT 2004

How about Jack Teagarden's "I Swung the Election!"

anyway, the 300 songs they chose from are not too bad:
http://www.npr.org/programs/specials/vote/300list.html

As for what we really want in American radio (not just Public Radio)
are stations that have local content, music and information of the real
community - not something that comes from some national Robot DJ and
news feeds from some unknown national pundit or source. (why does my
spell checker say souse?)

I have been listening to American radio for about 50 years ( I started
at the tender age of 5) . I have heard many years of outstanding San
Francisco Bay Area radio - 1950s Rock and Roll/R&B, pop and news
stations that really caught the needs of their audiences (young or old,
traditional or rebels) all the way to free-form, experimental, local
commercial to totally non-commercial, spectrums of punk/new wave to
trad jazz to alternative country & western focused stations, and
everything in-between. I have also heard many stations crash and burn
because they were either  too good for the general public (or general
ad salesman) or because they fall in to the trap of following advise
from "music consultants" and other such malarky.

I have been part of a significant radio revolution called KFJC FM for
over 20 years - my love of radio as an "art form" and seeing that it
can be more than just a commercial tool to flog the big record company
product  has kept my interest and energy strong. The fact that I am a
small "jazz voice" on a station that is known world-wide for playing
extremely different and difficult types of music is also important to
me - I am providing a bit of education and continuity in the story of
popular American music (with a world-wide flavor.)

I have heard stations al over the world now, thanks to the internet
(and a few band tours) and it is a good thing to keep radio going,
especially if it is of value to both the local community or other
outsiders that might want to hear something like Serbian Brass Bands or
Brazilian Jazz Bands.

or OKOM

Dave Richoux
The Jazz Parade