[Dixielandjazz] The 100 most important American Songs of the 20th Century

Jazzjerry at aol.com Jazzjerry at aol.com
Mon Sep 13 14:18:19 PDT 2004

Just had a look at the list and in general it would seem an excellent
selection covering a pretty wide spectrum of music. It seems to be a better
reflection of 'important' American Music than some of those farcical lists published to
'celebrate' the millennium a few years ago.

No doubt we could all suggest omissions even those of us who are not
Americans but a pretty good stab methinks.

Incidently although whilst I do not want to get into a political discussion
we have Bill Horton having a petty and rather unnecessary rant against probably
the only decent radio stations I have heard during my Stateside visits and
just a few days ago we had Tom Wiggins having a go at radio stations owned by
large, presumably capitalist, corporations. As an outsider I am fascinated to
know exactly what sort of radio stations are wanted by the American contributors
to this list?

I would rather spend my time listening to the list on the NPR site than the
mindless and boring elevator music broadcast by the commercial smooth jazz
stations I turn off during my touring the USA?

Cheers,

Jerry
Norwich
U.K.
P.S. If we are going to get plitical how about "Down with the Old Bull Of
Bush" as a campaign song for somebody.