[Dixielandjazz] Bud Shank's response to how he was fired.

Nancy Giffin nancyink at ulink.net
Tue Sep 14 20:13:34 PDT 2004

From: Steve barbone <barbonestreet at earthlink.net>
Subject: [Dixielandjazz] Bud Shank's response to how he was fired.

LETTER EXCERPTS FROM BUD SHANK
"... She proceeded to grill me in an hour long inquisition, demanding to
know my future plans, my thoughts about faculty, when I was going to
'finally' retire, etc. etc. Talk about completely out of line. This woman
was a student for years at my workshop. Where does she get off thinking her
money has bought her my event? This is a sponsor talking. Sponsors don't
talk. They hand you their money and wave to the audience and keep their
mouths shut about the artistic direction of an event. They certainly don't -
or should not - dictate policy or program mandates..."
[Comment:
Sponsors don't talk? Oy. Although I am painfully sympathetic, I have dealt
with sponsors in the past; am I the only one who thinks this is a bit naive
in this day and age?]

BUD continues:
"...So it looks like within a few weeks we will have a major announcement to
make regarding the Bud Shank Jazz Workshop and Jazz Southwest Festival for
July 2005. We are moving on, and taking our faculty, our students, and our
reputation for the best Jazz camp in the USA with us. Thanks for caring. We
will be in touch."

{Comment: I certainly wish him well. I know he has the support of many, many
musicians around the world.]