[Dixielandjazz] Brass poisoning? Or metal allergy?

Dave Washburn tootn4u at juno.com
Mon Sep 13 06:13:02 PDT 2004

I have a music store and repair shop in Texas. We had a student from a nearby school develope an allergic reaction to her mouthpiece, even after having it gold plated. Gold usually solves the problem, but not in this case. So I shot a coat of lacquer on it (figuring it won't hurt and I can always remove it) and that seemed to solve the problem. Lacquer will probably wear off, but she has been OK for nearly 2 years now. Some purists might say the lacquer will change the sound characteristics but I'm not sure that is enough of a problem to worry about. In this case this young lady just wanted to be able to play.

Dave in Dallas
tootn4u at juno.com
www.mp3.com.au/davewashburn