[Dixielandjazz] Too Loud Instruments

Norman Vickers nvickers1 at cox.net
Mon Sep 13 04:41:59 PDT 2004

Rebecca Wrote:

> We attempted to tell the
> >player and he would "play" with the controls, but never brought the sound
> >down so that it didn't interfere with sound coming from the other
players.

> >Do you think musicians loose their hearing and just don't realize how
loud
> >they are playing?
> >
> >Rebecca Thompson
> >Flower Mound, TX

Our Jazz Society of Pensacola featured a blues guitarist--really good and a
sensitive person-- not ego driven.  He had his guitar connected to his amp
on stage and mikes were controlled by a soundboard.  During the first set,
the guitar was too loud and the guy working the soundboard couldn't reduce
the guitar volume.

During intermission, we spoke to the guitarist about reducing the volume of
the guitar.  His reply was, " I have to have it that loud so I can hear it."

Sometimes, it's not ego but noise-induced deafness.

Interestingly, we he does a solo set--he's local so I like to catch his act
when I can--his volume is at acceptable levels.
I don't have an absolutely clear explanation for that.  I have my own mental
construct(s) as to how that works but won't burden you with it/them.

Norman Vickers
Pensacola