[Dixielandjazz] Brass poisoning? Or metal allergy?

Rick Knittel knittelsportland at juno.com
Mon Sep 13 06:26:13 PDT 2004

Dave in Dalles wrote;

On Mon, 13 Sep 2004 13:13:02 GMT "Dave Washburn" <tootn4u at juno.com>
writes:

> I have a music store and repair shop in Texas. We had a student from
> a nearby school develop an allergic reaction to her mouthpiece,
> even after having it gold plated. Gold usually solves the problem,
> but not in this case. So I shot a coat of lacquer on it (figuring it
> won't hurt and I can always remove it) and that seemed to solve the
> problem. Lacquer will probably wear off, but she has been OK for
> nearly 2 years now. Some purists might say the lacquer will change
> the sound characteristics but I'm not sure that is enough of a
> problem to worry about. In this case this young lady just wanted to
> be able to play.
>

> Dave in Dallas

For hyper allergenic brass musicians there are some very good acrylic
(plastic) mouth pieces made and although they are a little softer and
rounder tone are very pleasing to the musician to play.

Rick Knittel - JAZZBONE
37 Ship Channel Road; South Portland, Maine 04106-5136
Phone; (207)-741-2407; fax 2409; Cell: (207)-233-3480;
E-mail; Knittelsportland at juno.com