[Dixielandjazz] Re: Dixielandjazz Digest, Vol 21, Issue 18

Butch Thompson butcht at sihope.com
Wed Sep 8 18:38:41 PDT 2004

On 9/8/04 7:31 PM, john petters wrote::

> Joe Watkins does very little except hit the ride cymbal.

I think, John, that Joe went in that direction as the Geo. Lewis band did
more and more concert touring.  I still like it -- perfect, swinging time is
perfect, swinging time -- but I think you would agree that his earlier
recordings with Lewis reveal a fine snare drum technique and lots of big and
varied sounds.  Wonderful New Orleans drumming.

Best,

Butch Thompson