[Dixielandjazz] "Orchestra" as opposed to "band"

TCASHWIGG at aol.com TCASHWIGG at aol.com
Wed Sep 8 16:05:42 PDT 2004

robert.smith at mitransport.no writes:

> Here's one picked at random:
> Garnet Clark and his Orchestra that consists of him and four other musicians
> (Bill Coleman, George Johnson, Django Reinhardt, and June Cole).
> The word "orchestra" usually conjures up a large symphony orchestra with
> maybe 80 musicians. The word "band" usually conjures a much smaller group. In
> fact if the band has 18 musicians it is usually called a big band. Even so a
> symphonic wind band may have up to 70 musicians.
> It's all very confusing.
>
> Cheers
>
> Bob Smith

It gets even more confusing Bob in Latin countries where they rarely if ever
use the word BAND,  they call them all orchestras  I think.

I tried to use my spanish translation software once to send out a booking
letter for my band.

They though I was selling  medical brass  Bandages.  No wonder I didn't get
that tour. :)

Cheers,

Tom Wiggins
Saint Gabriel's Celestial Brass Band

Below is how my translator explains it in both directions.
I kind of like the German way of saying it, :)

Portuguese runs a close second.

Anybody wanna have fun with it send me what what it would be in your other
languages just for the excercise.

Danish, Swedish, Finnish, Flemish, Dutch or what ever, I would like to have a
complete list for fun in my archives.

  English                Saint Gabriel's Celestial Brass Band

   English to     Spanish           El Celestial de San Gabriel la banda
   Spanish back to English       The Celestial of San Gabriel the band

    English to French               Le Céleste de Saint Gabriel fanfare
    French to English               The Celestial of Saint Gabriel fanfare

    English to Italian                 L'Ottone Celestiale di Gabriel Santo
Unisce
    Italian to English                 The Celestial brass of Gabriel Saint
Unite

    English to  German              Heiligen Gabriel 's Himmlischer
Messing-Band
    German to English               Saint Gabriel ' s heavenly brass-band

   English to  Portuguese          O Celestial de São Gabriel Faixa de Metal

   Portuguese to English           The Celestial of Saint Gabriel Strip of
Metal