[Dixielandjazz] RE: Jazz in Greece

Ittzés Tamás bohem at mail.datanet.hu
Wed Sep 8 15:36:50 PDT 2004

Bob (Ringwald) and Steve (Barbone),

Steve wrote: "Here is some information about 3 jazz nightclubs there. Two in
Athens and one in Lesbos.
Don't know if OKOM or not as their web sites are in Greek."

They are definitely not OKOM. We've been to Greece twice with my band and
the only trad jazz fest is in Corinthos. I don't know if it's still on, it
was the result of the enthusiasm of one guy (named Costas Philippidis) who
led his own band. Also, there was a big band. We had an additional concert
in another year (it was kind of a one evening festival with about 3 bands)
in Volos (up North). We were told that no other organization featured OKOM
in the country. I am afraid, it is still true. Don't expect much, Bob. There
is a guy somewhere in Athens, Costas Karayannis, I think, he works for the
radio and he is a fan of ragtime and dixieland. Anyway, go to Greece for
sunshine and Ouzo, not for dixieland.

Tamas
Tamas ITTZES - violin teacher, ragtime pianist, manager
Kodaly School, Bohem Ragtime Jazzband, Kecskemet Jazz Foundation
Address: Kecskemet-Hetenyegyhaza H-6044, Hullam u. 14.
Mailing address: Kecskemet H-6001, Pf. 652.
Cellular phone: +36(20)960-7169, Tel./Fax: +36(76)472-438
E-mails: tamas at bohemragtime.com, bohem at mail.datanet.hu
Website: http://www.bohemragtime.com/