[Dixielandjazz] "Orchestra" as opposed to "band"

David Richoux tubaman at batnet.com
Wed Sep 8 15:37:36 PDT 2004

Sometimes the "Orchestra" term is chosen if there is a string section
in the group: Paul Whiteman Orchestra, for example. Other times I think
it was because the leader thought it was a more "classy" term than
"Band" - Duke Ellington had his Jungle Band but then there were also
the Cotton Club Orchestra and Duke Ellington Orchestra.

Up-Marketing!

Dave Richoux