[Dixielandjazz] Mutes

Custode at aol.com Custode at aol.com
Tue Sep 7 17:31:34 PDT 2004

I haven't "chimed-in" for a while now; this topic has inspired me  to do so.

Years ago, you couldn't get me to use a mute.  I really  disliked plugging up
the end of my horn for a number of reasons, but  the main two were 1) my
personal favorite trumpet icon was/is Al Hirt, (who  rarely used a mute) and 2) I
really didn't like the way the horn responded when  I used a mute.

It wasn't until I heard a recording of my group that I fully  appreciated the
use of mutes, however sparingly I employed them.  In the  Buffalo, NY area
(where I work extensively) the market will not support the  traditional seven
man setup, and consequently most groups  perform as quartets.  My group uses
banjo/guitar, bass/tuba, trombone  and trumpet.  I must admit, that after hearing
the same combination of  instruments for an extended period of time, I was
relieved to hear the  different sound on those tunes that I decided to use a
mute.  I understand  the opinion that mutes should be used sparingly, but I would
suggest  that trumpet players should rethink this approach based on
individual  circumstances.  My experience has shown that the audience is  intrigued at
the use of different mutes, and this elevates their level  of participation
and support of music.

Finally, someone responded that the use of more than a cup mute and  straight
mute somehow diminishes the player's ability.  I regularly  use a cup mute,
Harmon mute, Hat, and plunger.  It is not surprising that I  would
categorically disagree with this assessment.  In fact, I  would argue that the effective
use of mutes is an art.  Adding the  different colors that mutes provide
illustrates an appreciation of sound,  and could arguably add to an instrumentalists
musicality.

Lewis D.  Custode, Jr., CLU, ChFC
_LDC  Advisory Services_ (http://www.myfinancialpro.net/custode)