[Dixielandjazz] ZEP MEISNER

LARRY'S Signs and Large Format Printing sign.guy at charter.net
Thu Sep 2 15:57:57 PDT 2004

Hi guys I have a Dixieland band here in St. Louis.  Mostly I use two other guys and a computer to fill in the background.  I make a lot more money that way.  I have started a Dixie big band called RAZZAMATZZ.  I  acquired a book with many ZEP Meisner arrangements.  I became familiar with his arrangements when I was in the 571 st Air Force Band.  There were some tunes in the archives.  I don't know much about him except that he arranged some for Spike Jones and was active in the 30's and 40's, owned a music store and played alto and clarinet.

Who else did he arrange for?

Unfortunately his music is tough in spots and aren't sight readers for most of the guys.  The better rhythm guys that play Dixie are in such demand that they don't want to spend the time with it.  We play a lot of head arrangements most of the time because some of the best players really don't like to read.   It's sort of a circle - if you don't have gigs then you don't have players - if you don't have players you can't do demos or take pictures but without that you don't get gigs.

I will probably select about 25-30 of Zeps tunes and fill out with head arrangements but I really want to bill this group as an authentic band rather than as "St. Louis Dixie" style band.

I play soprano / tenor sax.  I used to play clarinet but I got some nerve damage in a fall on the ice last year that keeps me from feeling/covering the holes.