[Dixielandjazz] Re: Marsalis was Another NY TIMES Jazz Review

LARRY'S Signs and Large Format Printing sign.guy at charter.net
Sun Oct 31 15:03:47 PST 2004

So what - It's time to get over who invented what.  They are all dead.  Not
everyone liked Mozart in his lifetime either.  I think that Black musicians
have a great musical heritage, however, without the white musicians such as
Paul Whiteman and a lot of black ones too imitating the style and making it
grow it would have been a musical evolutionary dead end and simply would
have died or been a minor musical niche.

Everyone wants to take credit now that the kid (jazz) has grown up and made
something of himself.  As I see it there is little difference in a note or a
whole tune no matter who produces it if I like it and want to imitate it.

When I was a kid someone told me that the black would rub off on me if I
touched a black person.  Little did they know how much would rub off when I
listened to their music And I'm glad it did.

The Black experience has been one of seeking freedom, originally from white
masters but that search for freedom has affected us too.  You can't tell me
that any of you don't feel tremendous freedom of spirit and creativity when
you are playing a jazz solo.  That's been the gift to us, the white
musician, from the black  The Jazz experience has been a partnership and I
think "we" own it now.  Enjoy it.