[Dixielandjazz] Reeds for woodwind instruments

Robert Smith robert.smith at mitransport.no
Thu Oct 21 11:02:05 PDT 2004

I play trombone in a Symphonic Wind Band, and I see the problems the woodwind players have, both choosing and using their reeds.
A thought struck me some time ago, and this was:
Aluminium has a low Young's Modulus, and might possibly work as a permanent reed. I've borrowed a bambus reed and intend to make a replica in aluminium. I don't think there is any health hazard with putting this metal in the mouth.

Does anyone know if this has ever been tried, or, for that matter, if any other materials have been tried?

Cheers

Bob Smith