[Dixielandjazz] New Orleans

Brian Towers towers at allstream.net
Thu Oct 21 07:54:29 PDT 2004

Guy Bisson,

Well done!  A wonderful idea, to start a web site such as this.  I have
added it to my favourites and will be interested to see it develop further.
Good lay-out too.

 I agree that the influence of Storyville and the brothels and their part in
the development of jazz is somewhat over-played.  It makes a colourful story
I suppose and is manna for the movie industry etc!   It is well to emphasise
that the jazz bands did not play in the brothels (too small for a start and
not economic)  although many jazz bands played in the bars and dance halls
around Storyville.   The jazz musicians that did play in the larger brothels
on a regular basis were invariably pianists, such as Jelly Roll Morton, Tony
Jackson etc.  We must be grateful to the brothel "Madames" in that they
helped provide the youthful Jelly Roll Morton  make a living from playing
the piano and develop his jazz skills.  Interesting to recall that by 1915,
at the age of 25, he had left New Orleans permanently.
He must have played a huge part in spreading the message of jazz to the rest
of the USA.
 Prostitution clearly brought a lot of money into the Storyville area in the
period up to 1917 and this would have filtered down to the musicians.  Louis
Armstrong was just 16 (d.o.b Aug 4/1901) when the prostitution laws changed
in Storyville but no doubt he heard lots of great jazz as a teenager , while
hanging around in the streets outside the Storyville bars.

Looking forward to further development!

Brian Towers,
Canada