[Dixielandjazz] New Orleans

Guy Bisson guy at easybigeasy.com
Tue Oct 19 00:33:36 PDT 2004

Sue,

I remember your post of a year ago and I seem to remember that I replied suggesting you visit Fritzels and check out the excellent Ryan Burrage. It's great that you have now moved to New Orleans to be closer to the music. As others have suggested, there are excellent and growing congregations of music clubs featuring great jazz on Frenchman Street and Rampart Street..both within easy walk of the French Quarter hotels. I have been off-list for about a year, but have spent that time creating a Website dedicated to New Orleans. As a distinctly amateur clarinet player and passionate fan of early jazz, I particularly want the music section to be the best available guide to listening to and finding New Orleans jazz. I too was frequently frustrated on visits to the city when trying to find non-touristy music until I found out where to go and who to look out for. I would also echo previous posts in recommending The French Quarter Festival, but also the Satchmo Summerfest...dedicated to Louis's birthday. This is also a good time of year to visit if music is your passion, it's also low season and the hotels are cheap...if you don't mind possibly having to flee a hurricane! Anyway, I'd really appreciate some feedback on my music pages from experts on this site...it's still early days and I plan to add a lot more over the coming months...the pages are at www.easybigeasy.com/music.htm
thanks