[Dixielandjazz] Big Bear Tavern Confirmation of location - more hot info!

David Richoux tubaman at batnet.com
Mon Oct 11 12:39:54 PDT 2004

Hi all,

I just talked with Brian for some clarification on the Big Bear. He has
lived in the area all his life, mostly just a few blocks from where it
was. He also interviewed Bob Helm and wrote some articles about the
place. He and Ed Lawless went to the site and Ed took a lot of
pictures, but Ed passed away before anything further was done with
those photos.

Apparently the address was an approximation - there is no actual 7100
Redwood Road. According to Brian the site is actually NOT in what is
now the park  - There was a "Big Bear Trail" that intersected the road
and a horse stable area on the southeast side of the road.  The Tavern
was built in about 1931 at that intersection.
(see http://www.ebparks.org/resources/resources_maps.htm for a PDF file
of the Redwood South map shows all the current details of the area.)
Brian says the original trail was not maintained.) The park map shows a
"Big Bear Gate" and an unnamed trail, but I don't think that is the
spot.

Lu Watters' band played there from time to time until they got the 1939
gig at the Dawn Club and they never went back.
According to Brian the tavern was not much - a simple wood platform
that then had a very basic barn shed built on to it - no interior
walls, just studs and exterior planks.  The Big Bear Tavern burned down
after some vandalism in 1965/66 but according to Brian you can still
see the remains of the stable area. There is no sign or marker, but it
is a wide spot in the road, just westsouthwest of some sort of fire
station that I don't see on the map.

I am sure Tom's report of his explorations yesterday will make it to
the list ;-)

Dave R