[Dixielandjazz] Big Bear Tavern Confirmation of location

David Richoux tubaman at batnet.com
Mon Oct 11 10:07:18 PDT 2004

Hi all,

I just got off the phone with Earl Sheelar (leader of the Zenith Jazz
Band - the Bay Area one, not the New Orleans or Swedish or Australian
one) - I had asked him about the Big Bear Tavern a few days ago. He did
some research and talked to an Oakland resident jazz fan named Brian
Mathews (sp?) - Brian lives just a few blocks from where the club was
and had been to performances there in the 1930s. The street address is
in fact 7100 Redwood Road, Oakland. The site is now within the Redwood
Regional Park.

Dottie Lawless of the NOJCNC (and DJML lurker) has some pictures but I
have not seen them.

Good hunting!

Dave Richoux