[Dixielandjazz] ESR: jazz survives mainly as fuzak

Rob McCallum rakmccallum at hotmail.com
Mon Nov 15 14:00:43 PST 2004

Hi all,

In the past 100 years?  I would argue that the arts-- literary, musical and
visual, didn't become alive and accessible to the masses UNTIL within the
past hundred years.  Between the Renaissance and the end of the 19th
century, the "arts" to which the author is referring were almost exclusively
part of the culture of the elite wealthy classes who, for the most part, had
very little understanding of what the arts actually were, and much less
cared.  Pick up an Edith Wharton novel and you'll clearly see what the "art"
scene was like in late 19th century New York.  The opera was nothing more
than a "seen and be seen" space for the privileged few and their slightly
less-well-off followers who showed up to see them (not the opera).  As for
visual art, I suppose if his idea of high art is a painting of a "realistic"
portrait of a man of wealth and "social status", then by all means,
everything produced over the last 100 years must seem like a part of a
decaying process : ).  However, I see, beginning with the Impressionists,
not the beginning of the end, but rather the beginning of a new beginning.
An era of discovery had begun and the arts began to pull themselves out of a
dark and stilted haze of dull confines.

The 20th century will be looked back upon as an era of intense and rapid
change when there finally existed enough of an environment of freedom for
people to develop and express their own ideas.  Inherent in that is the fact
that not all ideas are good so thus we can build skyscrapers and communicate
on the Internet as well as slaughter millions upon millions in brutal world
wars.  Thus, only in the 20th century would it have been possible to have a
Louis Armstrong and a Sid Vicious both claiming to be musicians.  But it's
not because of a "decay" that Punk rock or trash novels or Kenny G or Jerry
Springer or whatever exists, it's because people have the freedom to express
and define themselves.  Defining "art," or "literature" or "music" is
entirely up to each individual in this era.

BTW--When did classical music ever have a connection to "popular" culture?
Up until the 20th century (and I daresay well into the 20th century) it was
almost exclusively a part of the domain of the wealthy privileged classes,
and has still not completely shaken that connotation to the everyday Joe on
the street.  Mozart created great music that can be enjoyed by "everyman"
despite the environment he worked in.   Lost vitality?  In the 20th
century... or even now?  That position is nothing more than an elite arts
snob passing judgment on things he doesn't like.  The author is using the
term "popular culture" as coded text to justify his romanticizing of a
supposed lost cultural era.  Had he been alive 200 years ago, he'd have
probably been equally disappointed.

All the best,
Rob McCallum