[Dixielandjazz] ESR: jazz survives mainly as fuzak

Edgerton, Paul A paul.edgerton at eds.com
Mon Nov 15 12:24:52 PST 2004

This will be painful for many of you, so do yourselves a favor and skip to
the next thread now.

Really, I mean it.

Still here?  Alright then, here I go -- but don't say I didn't warn you...

Eric S. Raymond casts a long shadow in the world of open source software. He
is also an advocate for libertarian politics who espouses views that I think
most DJML subscribers will find challenging.

He has written a blog entry describing the decay of literary, musical and
visual art, of which the first paragraphs read:

   "There are entire genres of art that have self-destructed in the last
    hundred years - become drained of vitality, driven their audiences
    away to the point where they become nothing more than museum exhibits
    or hobby-horses for snobs and antiquarians.

   "The three most obvious examples are painting, the literary novel and
    classical music. After about 1910 all three of these art forms
    determinedly severed the connections with popular culture that had
    made them relevant over the previous 250 years. Their departure left
    vacuums to be filled; we got modern genre literature, rock music, and
    art photography."

As my subject line suggests, he makes a partial exception for jazz. You can
read his analysis here: http://esr.ibiblio.org/index.php?p=157&c=1

-- Paul Edgerton