[Dixielandjazz] ESR: jazz survives mainly as fuzak

Arnold Day arnieday at optonline.net
Mon Nov 15 15:13:40 PST 2004

Well, certainly in the industrial areas of (chiefly) Northern Britain from Victorian times. Until, say, 1960 or so, it would have been hard to find a cotton or wollen mill worker who did not play some kind of brass or reed instrument. The tradition of brass bands is alive and well to this day. (http://www.blackdykeband.co.uk/bdb/2003/mtb/history.htm  I could also mention the world-famous Huddersfield Choral Society, Manchester's Halle Orchestra, and the dozens of Welsh male voice choirs, all well supported and attended by the "masses".