[Dixielandjazz] Teddy Buckner

James Kashishian jim at kashprod.com
Mon Nov 15 09:22:27 PST 2004

Bob Romans wrote:

In the early sixties a friend of mine and I used to go to a restaurant in
West Covina, California, and listen to Teddy Buckner and his band.
I understand he was in the movie, "The Five Penny's", along with Satchmo.

I've mentioned before that I spent 3 nites a week in the Beverly Caverns  in
Los Angeles in the late 50's listening to Teddy Buckner.  The other 4 nites
I was busy with our "young band" playing at the Roug et Noir in Seal Beach
(the South Frisco).

Teddy was a fantastic horn man, an excellent band leader & entertainer.  He
was extremely friendly with everyone around him, including his band members.
Great memories!  I picked up a lot of ideas from him, both commercially &
musically.

Yes, he was in Five Pennies, and was often used in films when they couldn't
afford Satchmo (Teddy looked a bit like him).

Good to see his name mentioned again.

Jim