[Dixielandjazz] Lester Lanin

TCASHWIGG at aol.com TCASHWIGG at aol.com
Thu Nov 4 09:37:59 PST 2004

In a message dated 11/4/04 3:13:23 AM Pacific Standard Time,
s3856lpa at webtv.net writes:

> Didn't see any mention of Lester Lanin's passing several days ago.  My
> comments:
> A Jazzman he wasn't, but he put a lot of good musicians to work on a
> steady basis, and the stuff they played was generally tastefully
> arranged, the harmonies correct and interesting, and the repertoire was
> packed with good standards.

Hi Harold:

Actually Steve Barbone posted it but unfortunately most folks on the list
just ignored it.

I agree with you as did Steve that Lester was a great bandleader who employed
many good players and at good money because he chose to work where the money
was and proved over and over again what I always say.  There are always Good
Gig for Good Players, but you have to exercise good judgment and play mostly
the good gigs and pass on the cheap funky ones to keep up your own professional
reputation as a professional musician that makes professional money and
garners respect.

I learned the business from guys like Lester Lanin, and Bobby Short, and
Peter Duchin, Guy Lombardo etc, who knew how to run a band and treat it like a
business, I will be forever grateful for their leadership, too bad many more
players did not take the time to learn the basics of the business from them when
they had the opportunity.  As you said they also made a lot of people happy
playing what the people wanted to hear Good Danceable Music.

Consequently it is far harder today to book a band a tour and keep it
together making a living wage for all the players.

Cheers,

Tom Wiggins