[Dixielandjazz] Re: Frank & Joe in Denver

Steve barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Thu Nov 4 12:27:41 PST 2004

"Ed Danielson" <mcvouty78 at hotmail.com> wrote

> This is a promotional piece sent by e-mail from Hyena records, the label for
> the Frank and Joe Show.  If you're anywhere near Denver next weekend, you
> might want to try to make it to this!

OH MY YES!!! YOU WANT TO GO OUT OF YOUR WAY TO HEAR THIS GROUP. HYPE
REPRINTED BELOW BECAUSE THEY ARE THAT GOOD. New York City Jazzmen at their
finest, performing at the next level up. You won't believe it even when you
are seeing/hearing it.

I had the good fortune to perform with Joe Ascione in a group led by Ed
Polcer a little while back and he is absolutely the finest drummer I have
ever worked with. Vignola sat in for a couple of numbers and I though I was
in heaven. They perform together often, sometimes in a "Hot Club of France"
reprise with various jazz violinists and are absolutely astounding. In that
vein, Vignola has become of fan of 9 year old jazz violinist Jonathan
Russell. Watch/listen for them in a few years.

Congratulations to the Summit Jazz Foundation for booking them. Wish I was
closer than 1500 miles away.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone

WHO:
America's hottest roots jazz band, The Frank & Joe Show, do it the old
fashioned way, hitting the road and bringing the music to the people.
Featuring Frank Vignola and Joe Ascione, the six-piece New York City unit
reinvent the vintage spirit like nobody else on the scene today, drawing
upon elements of Django Reinhardt, Les Paul, Bo Diddley, Mozart, The Doobie
Brothers, Cole Porter, Cream & Spiderman. It results in music of joyously
resounding energy and sheer swing delight.

Guitarist Frank Vignola is one of the greatest guitarists the world over. He
has the rare gift of combining dazzling virtuosity with genuine soul. Every
note finds its pocket and plays the listener's imagination. His partner,
percussionist Joe Ascione, leads a telepathic rhythm section that steers the
music with rolling grooves on djembe and assorted percussion, coloring each
song with splashes of cymbal, rattling shakers and hand claps. The Frank &
Joe Show also features Ken Smith on rhythm guitar, Gary Mazzaroppi on bass,
Chuck Ferruggia on percussion and Rich Zukor on percussion.

Popular song, Gypsy swing, Modern jazz, High & lonesome, Country funk and
Island grooves...The Frank & Joe Show make it all new again -- timeless
American music.

WHAT:
Having just released their debut album, 33 1/3, and completing the first leg
of a U.S. Tour, The Frank & Joe Show are back on tour to make their Denver,
CO concert debut with performances on Friday, November 12th and Saturday,
November 13th. This show is presented by The Summit Jazz Foundation as part
of their "Swinging Jazz Concerts" series.

WHERE:
DONALD R. SEAWELL GRAND BALLROOM
Atop the Helen Bonfils Theater at The Denver Center for The Performing Arts
14th Street between Champa and Araphoe Streets
Denver, CO

WHEN:
FRIDAY, NOVEMBER 12th & SATURDAY, NOVEMBER 13th
Three Sets - 7:00 to 10:00 PM