[Dixielandjazz] "Shine" the slang meaning

LARRY'S Signs and Large Format Printing sign.guy at charter.net
Tue Nov 2 16:46:34 PST 2004

Some perspective
When I was  16,  I was hit with a night stick for just walking down the
street.  The cop didn't say a word just let me have it. I was pretty
surprised.  When I did a tour with the USAF band in Hawaii we were warned by
the public affairs officer that if we went to the left at the end of the
Island highway  we might not come out alive because that was Hawaiian
sanctuary.  When I played the Pentagon we were very sternly lectured that we
should not be on the streets with our uniforms on because we might be
attacked.  That's in our own capitol city!  I did it anyway because no one
could make me not wear the uniform that I was pretty proud of especially in
my own capitol.  (fortunately the worst thing that happened was that people
thought I was a cop or doorman and kept asking me for directions) You don't
have to be black to get in trouble because of your race in this country.
Racism is free and available to all equally.

Just a question.  I have heard blacks called shines.  Actually rarely
because my father in law had a much bigger although limited vocabulary when
it came to black and Hispanic persons.  Is the name because of the song or
the other way around.  I really don't know.