[Dixielandjazz] Re: 'Pipe the Shine'

Dan Augustine ds.augustine at mail.utexas.edu
Tue Nov 2 15:46:52 PST 2004

Pipe the slang:
     I've run across this word before in mystery novels, and it always
means "look at" or "pay attention to" (but not necessarily with
admiration), not "hit someone with a pipe".
     The Oxford English Dictionary concurs:

"9. trans. and intr. To see, notice, look (at), watch; to follow or
observe (someone), esp. stealthily. Also with off. slang and dial.
Perhaps a different word.
   1846 Swell's Night Guide 43 You may pipe the crib by seeing a board
whereon is inscribed the name of the piano faker. 1848 Ladies'
Repository VIII. 316/2 Pipe, to watch; reconnoitre. 1864 HOTTEN Slang
Dict. 202 Pipe, to follow or dog a person. Term used by detectives.
1869 Galaxy VIII. 349 His 'pal'..has meantime been engaged in an
operation which he styles 'piping off the cop', by which he means
that he has been watching the movements of the policeman. 1877
Sessions Papers 25 Oct. 631 Druscovich..said 'I know I am being piped
off' that in our language means being followed or watched it would
imply that another detective was following him. 1888 S. O. ADDY
Gloss. Words Sheffield 176 Pipe, to take notice of. 'Pipe his kuss',
i.e., take notice of his mouth. A detective is said to pipe round a
public-house when in search of a culprit. 1898 A. M. BINSTEAD Pink
'Un & Pelican iv. 87 His mission up there on the roof was to exclude
Anglice, sling off any who sought to 'pipe off' the contest through
the skylight aforesaid. 1898 F. P. DUNNE Mr. Dooley in Peace & War 3
Sagasta pipes him out iv th' corner iv his eye. 1906 'H. MCHUGH'
Skiddoo! 67 I'm going to pass you out a talk he handed me a few
evenings ago on that subject. Pipe! 1915 WODEHOUSE Psmith, Journalist
ii. 10 Pipe de leather collar she's wearing. 1924 E. O'NEILL Welded
II. ii. 141 Remember kissing me on the corner with the whole mob
pipin' us off? 1926 Flynn's 16 Jan. 640/2 We found another rattler
and a few days later I piped a beaut of a jug and a jay burg. 1943 F.
SARGESON in Penguin New Writing XVII. 78 We'd stand in shop doorways
and Terry'd pipe off everyone that went past. 1950 R. CHANDLER Let.
18 May in R. Chandler Speaking (1966) 78 'Piped' does not mean
'found' but saw or spotted (with the eyes). 1974 H. J. PARKER View
from Boys iii. 77 During the daytime wandering around the area,
'pipe-ing', looking over a car, became a regular practice."