[Dixielandjazz] ATJS All-Star Concert

Thompson rebecca.e.thompson at verizon.net
Mon May 24 15:40:04 PDT 2004

Let me add to Dave's comments regarding the Austin Traditional Jazz Society
All-Star Concert.

He mentioned the pleasure he had of playing with the band.  Let me say that
it was evident that EVERYONE in the band was having a good time.  Not only
that, they played great!  You would have thought they had been together
longer than 30 minutes before start time.

Jim and I have been friends with Krenkle and Dresser for many, many years as
they subbed quite often at the Bavarian Grill during Tommy Loy's reign.  Bob
plays all reeds--but my favorite is his bass sax.  We just don't get to hear
that sound often enough.  Jim and I drove to Austin and back yesterday which
was about a 500 mile round trip... But felt it was worth it.

It was great to meet Brian Holland and hear him.  He is truly amazing...and
such a nice guy.  We have lived in the same town for several years now, but
this was our first meeting.  Also glad to finally meet Dave F2F!

Brian played several Fats Waller tunes including "Hand Full of Keys".  His
"Twelveth Street Rag" brought down the house.

A couple of weeks ago Jim and I went to San Antonio for the taping of four
Riverwalk broadcasts...ALL GREAT!  Kenny Davern was featured on two of the
shows.  Seems the month of May has been great for trad jazz and Texas.  That
is pretty rare since most people here like C&W.

Regards.
Rebecca Thompson
Flower Mound, TX

-