[Dixielandjazz] ATJS All-Star Concert

dhs at ev1.net dhs at ev1.net
Mon May 24 00:48:54 PDT 2004

Dear Listers:

This afternoon (Sunday, May 23) I had the pleasure of playing tuba in the
Austin Traditional Jazz Society All-Star Concert at Donn's Depot.  The band
was a lot of fun, and was well-received by a large crowd.  The other
all-stars this year were Bob Krenkel (reeds), Larmon Maddox (cornet), Bud
Dresser (trombone and flugelbone), Brian Holland (piano), and Budge Mabry
(drums).

The purpose of this post is to alert anyone who is not aware of it just what
a monster player Brian Holland is.  We all knew he would be good from his
three World Old-Time Piano Playing championships.  That's not the same as
listening to him play live and dazzle absolutely everyone performing both
stride and ragtime.  We enjoyed having him along for the ride, and hope he
will be back to Austin soon.  Interested listers should check out Brian's
website at http://www.hollandentertainment.com/.

Regards,
Dave Stoddard
Round Rock, TX