[Dixielandjazz] more on the Royal Wedding

James Kashishian kash at ran.es
Sat May 22 00:58:26 PDT 2004

We had our sound check this evening in the center of Madrid, preparing for
the Royal Wedding tomorrow.  There are to be around a half million people in
our area tomorrow.  We have a large stage on the route of the motorcade that
will take place at the end of the wedding, and before the wedding lunch.

We will give an hour and a half concert, some of which will probably be
somewhat disturbed by the motorcade going by, and then later returning in
the other direction.  The couple will ride in a bullet proof (clear glass)
topped Rolls Royce, and will be flanked by 30 Guardia Civil riding 1.4 cc
Harley Davidson motorcycles.  (So much for horse drawn chariots, and escorts
on horse back!)

We will play a Spanish "chotis" when they go by the first time.  It is
called Madrid, and was written, curiously, by a Mexican by the name of
Augustin Lara.  We do this tune regularly, switching to a jazz rhythm after
the first chorus.  It is very well known here.  One of our big hits.  Will
probably do Hello Dolly on their return trip past us.  Also well known here.

Some of our sound check was recorded by tv crews, and is being shown over &
over on national television during this evening.  The band is being
introduced on the news with the band playing in the background.  The other
group on the route (further along) is a flamenco group.

Tomorrow night we will be featured on the weekly roundup of news on national
television.  We recorded an interview last Tues at our regular Tues nite
gig.

Two of my kids have flown in from London (where they live now), just for the
concert!  They were so impressed that the band is involved they said they
couldn't miss it.  Even my wife, who rarely comes to a gig, is going to make
this one, I think!   :>

All of downtown Madrid has been blocked to traffic since last night.  Only
certain subways are running, none of which go under the route of the
motorcade.  Public transportation is free all day tomorrow.  Any airplane
flying over Madrid is to be escorted away by Spanish AF F18's.  AWACS have
been rented from the U.S. Air Force.  Mobile phones (cellphones) will not
receive any signal in the downtown area tomorrow.  (That's how the Atocha
bombs were set off!)

This is a BIG DEAL!  Fun to be a part of it.    :>  I hope to have some
pictures of the band on stage tomorrow, and can post some (not to DJML) to
anyone that asks for a copy.

By the way, we have a rent-a-shed type of dressing room behind the stage,
with full catering!

Jim