[Dixielandjazz] Re: more on the Royal Wedding

Bill Haesler bhaesler at bigpond.net.au
Sat May 22 10:23:49 PDT 2004

Dear Jim,
I feel almost as excited as you probably do, having 'our' jazz at a Royal
Wedding.
Unfortunately, there will be no all night coverage of the event in Australia
as there was last week when 'our Tasmanian princess', commoner and future
Danish queen, married into royalty.
However, I have just tuned-in to our government-run ethnic TV station, SBS,
for their daily (8.30 am) 50-minute Spanish News program.
I am still taping it.
They are covering the wedding preparations in Madrid and I have just seen a
one-minute plus evening shot of the people, the route and the plazas. It is
raining.
No band yet, but the sound track under the Spanish-only commentary for this
segment had a 'dixie' group playing "That's A Plenty".
It HAS to be your band!
I will do a fast-forward check of the rest of the tape when the Spanish News
finishes in about 10 minutes.
I will certainly have the VCR at the ready tomorrow (Sunday) morning at 8.30
am (our time), as I have no doubt that there will be a lengthy coverage of
the wedding motorcade. Who cares if we can't understand the commentators?
There is also likely to be news coverage on our other TV news stations.
And yes. Please send me the relevant jazz photographs by email.
Hearty congratulations.
Your mate from Oz,
Bill.