[Dixielandjazz] Sop Sax vs. Clarinet in Dixieland Bands

Mark Bauer jazz-trombone at earthlink.net
Tue May 18 23:47:14 PDT 2004

That's another good point that I never thought of Dave. He does tend to
compete with the cornet player in volume. Though I don't think he
deliberately does this. We do tend to get comments like "You guys are good,
but the front line sounds really thick." Thick as in too much is what I
believe he was saying.

I hear you, man. It takes a really good soprano player to make it work. The
soprano's timbre is such that it will easily clash with the cornet, not to
mention the volume. A good player can play so that it compliments the
ensemble; a weak player, well...sounds like you know the challenge. To
compound the problem, it's been my experience that weaker reed players tend
to lean towards soprano and play it more. For what reason I don't know but I
suspect they think it's easier to play. Every cornet player we've ever had
has commented to me on the side that our reed man plays too much soprano
(maybe half the tunes). Some would say any soprano is too much soprano. I
love it -- when it's played properly. Good luck. I feel your pain.

Dave
Dave Gravatt
"It's a treat to beat your feet."
The Creole Dixieland Jazz Band