[Dixielandjazz] Sop Sax vs. Clarinet in Dixieland Bands

Dave Gravatt dave at creolejazz.com
Tue May 18 10:24:59 PDT 2004

   -------Original Message-------
   >  > From: "Mark Bauer" <jazz-trombone at earthlink.net>
   >  >
   >  > In my dixieland band that I play in, The reed player does play some
   >  > clarinet(almost none really) but mostly he plays soprano sax. Soprano sax in
   >  > a dixieland band completely changes the timbre in my opinion. He does play
   >  > clarinet on the tunes he has to, but my question is this: How much saxophone
   >  > is too much for a traditional dixieland jazz group? In other words should he
   >  > be at least playing clarinet on 2/3rds of the tunes or should the soprano be
   >  > broken out just once and awhile? Any help and advice you guys could give
   >  > would be helpful.

I hear you, man. It takes a really good soprano player to make it work. The soprano's timbre is such that it will easily clash with the cornet, not to mention the volume. A good player can play so that it compliments the ensemble; a weak player, well...sounds like you know the challenge. To compound the problem, it's been my experience that weaker reed players tend to lean towards soprano and play it more. For what reason I don't know but I suspect they think it's easier to play. Every cornet player we've ever had has commented to me on the side that our reed man plays too much soprano (maybe half the tunes). Some would say any soprano is too much soprano. I love it -- when it's played properly. Good luck. I feel your pain.

Dave
Dave Gravatt
"It's a treat to beat your feet."
The Creole Dixieland Jazz Band