[Dixielandjazz] Sop Sax vs. Clarinet in Dixieland Bands

Brian Towers towers at allstream.net
Wed May 19 11:21:03 PDT 2004

On the subject of soprano saxes - there are many good ones out there and
also many bad ones.   As it seems easier to play loud volume on soprano,
than clarinet, alto etc, it does attract some of the weaker players.   There
also seem to be more soprano players around that play out of tune, than the
other instruments!
>From my own point of view, as leader of a band where the ensemble sound and
the instrumental balance of the front line is of paramount import, I prefer
the clarinet to soprano, as the latter is too close to the trumpet in pitch.
However, our regular reed player uses baritone sax, alto sax and clarinet
and these other saxes do not get mixed up with trumpet, the way the soprano
sax does in the ensembles.  Having said all that, my guest clarinet player
playing with the band this coming Saturday plays both clarinet and soprano!
He will play mostly clarinet and use the soprano occasionally, mostly in
solos, to provide variety.  This is the ideal solution, I believe, for a
traditional styled band.

Nothing is cast in concrete, however and some of the finest ensemble jazz
ever recorded was played by the Clarence Williams Blue Five, with Armstrong
(cornet) Bechet (soprano) and Irvis (trombone). Just listen to "Cakewalking
Babies"

So, if you want to play soprano sax, you need a very good sense of pitch and
an proper understanding of the roles of the other instruments in the
ensemble.   You also need tolerant fellow musicians, as soprano sax can
sound very loud, particularly when fully aimed at the mike, as most sopranos
seem to do!

Brian Towers (trombonist)
Hot Five Jazzmakers
Toronto.