[Dixielandjazz] Tailgate Ramble

Harry Epp heppkat at juno.com
Thu May 13 17:30:35 PDT 2004

Hi All:
As you old timers know Billy Maxted was my friend and Idol. He would play
at the Grandview inn
in Columbus Oh several times a year and I was there most of the time.

I "Stole" (Transcribed) quite a few of his charts for my band. One of the
best was "Tailgate ramble" I happened to be playing at the Grandview Inn
when Billy walked in. We played "Tailgate Ramble"  and he  jumped up and
said "you stole My chart" I said "Yes sir! I only steal from the best"

He wound up sitting in with us while I played banjo. I think I was the
only banjo player he tolerated.
We became  friends and worked together on Bill Thomas' Band . I took his
place on piano when he retired. I still miss him.

Respectfully
Harry Epp