[Dixielandjazz] Spanish Royal Wedding

James Kashishian kash at ran.es
Thu May 13 22:30:47 PDT 2004

Wedding Announcement:

The Canal Street Jazz Band has been selected to be one of three groups (1
jazz, 1 classical & one pop) to play for the forthcoming Royal Wedding, when
King Juan Carlos' son, Felipe IV, Prince of Asturias, marries a commoner,
Letizia Ortiz in Madrid.  The wedding will take place on 22 May, just before
noon.

There will be a motorcade by the wedding couple when they leave the church,
and it will go through three large squares (plazas) in Madrid, where each
group will be set up on large stages.  We are to be in Plaza Callao, which
is smack dab in the center of Madrid, and will give an hour and a half
concert.  All of Madrid is expected to be in the streets, which amounts to
about 5 million people!

I'm very pleased that Jazz is to be part of this scene, the concerts being a
gift to the people of Madrid from City Hall........and even more pleased
that it is our band that was chosen!  We've had to sign away all our rights
to every TV station imaginable, but it's worth it!  They can record us all
they like........

Jim     :>