[Dixielandjazz] Re: "The Tailgate Ramble" lyrics

Charles Suhor csuhor at zebra.net
Wed May 12 13:33:45 PDT 2004

BILL HAESLER WROTE--
Even if he [Johnny Mercer] does stuff up the last bit of his vocal chorus
with "Wasn't long a-Go. Boy/// ahhh, oohh, just the other day///  that they
played the same, in Savannah, GA./// " variation on take -5 of the
definitive 7 March 1944 Capitol Wingy Manone version. (Slightly different
on take -3, but still a
fumble.)

Amazing & humorous detail, Bill. My unreliable memory, though, doesn't
compute with the March 1944 date for the Manone version. Is that maybe the
date of the recording session vs. its release? I had Wingy's 78 disc and
thought it was just out when I bought it sometime in the late 40s. The flip
side--also unreliably--was an awful little ditty called "Tuscaloosa Bus."

On the irrelevant side, I highly recommend a visit to Savannah, GA.
Mercer's hometown, I believe, but beyond that a truly beautiful and unique
city. Driving distance from the more popular tourist site of Charleston,
NC,  also a lovely place.

Charlie Suhor