[Dixielandjazz] Re: "The Tailgate Ramble" lyrics

Bill Haesler bhaesler at bigpond.net.au
Wed May 12 12:09:54 PDT 2004

Dear Dave,
Admittedly, I only listened to the Wingie Manone version of "Tailgate
Ramble" this morning , but all I heard was 16 bars per chorus.  Not 24.
Including both the Wingy and Mercer vocals.
I do not have many other versions of this tune, as I was too busy collecting
'classic' jazz and blues when the 'dixieland' stuff was being released in
the 40s-50s.
I have just checked the non-vocal versions by Kid Ory (Aug 1957) and Sidney
Bechet (with Wild Bill - March 1949) and still hear 16 bar choruses.
But then I am only a failed trombonist, hopeless vocalist, aspiring
percussionist and bandleader.
Very kind regards,
Bill.