[Dixielandjazz] Re: "The Tailgate Ramble" lyrics

Bill Haesler bhaesler at bigpond.net.au
Thu May 13 10:55:02 PDT 2004

Dear Charlie,
You have raised an interesting question regarding Wingy's "Tailgate Ramble".
When was it initially released on 78?
The 7 March 1944 date I gave was when it was recorded. Which is always
easier to establish than when a record was actually issued.
A clue is the backing, which you recall as being "Tuscaloosa Bus".
This was recorded at a 3-tune Johnny Mercer Capitol session on 10 Jan 1947
and Wingy was included as vocalist (with Mercer, the Pied Pipers and the
Paul Weston Orch) on this one title only.
And I agree with you, it is certainly not that memorable. (I have just
replayed it.)
Both titles were issued on Capitol 15285 and take -3 of "Tailgate Ramble"
was used.
The original 78 release of "Tailgate Ramble" (take -5) was on Capitol 10024
backed by "Sister Kate' from the same 7 March 1944 record session.
A quick check (based on other Capitol jazz record sessions from this period)
indicates that 10024 was probably released sometime in early 1945, along
with 78s by Paul Whiteman, Nappy Lamare and Jack Teagarden. A jazz album
perhaps? I could pursue this, but will not at this point. Too busy.
So you have a later re-release (post-Jan 1947) of the tune. Which confirms
your recollection that you bought it "sometime in the late 40s".
Charlie, there is certainly no problem with YOUR memory!
Very kind regards,
Bill.